- Help your student clarify realistic goals.
- Discuss future plans, especially the financial picture and any restrictions with your student early in the selection process.
- Encourage your student to complete his/her own applications.
- Remember that this is your student’s future; allow your student to make his/her own choices.
- Be patient with your student and the school—it is a busy time for everyone.
- MEET DEADLINES!
- Keep records of everything: phone calls, names, meetings, etc.
- Plan college visits with your student; incorporate them into family vacations.
- Complete FAFSA application, no matter what your situation is. Many colleges use this form for awards and grants unrelated to a family’s income or savings.